About Me

My photo
Hello everyone. My name is Nikelina. I am an architect living, studying, working in Paris. I have always been good with crochets, drawing and fixing things. Started making jewelry 4-5 years ago, but only lately I have taken it more seriously. The truth is, once you start you can`t really stop. I became so eager to learn all possible techniques and so far I can do different types of beadwork, wire wrapped and fantasy jewelry. One day I will learn some metal smithing also. I am pleased to share my creations with you. You can follow me on my Littlewomen Etsy shop. I hope you will like my jewelry, post them or buy them. To win in our frequent giveways or just keep updated follow my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Littlewomenbusiness Dont forget to pass the love :)

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ambaji Shinde, the jewel behind the jewel

I recently read the book « Shinde Jewels” by Reema Keswani and would like to share with you my impressions. I didn’t know who Ambaji Shinde was and this book opened a whole new window on the Indian 5000 years old tradition of jewelry and above all on the personality of a great designer and man. Shinde (1917- 2003) was born in a poor family in India. He first studied textile design in Bombay, but the first job he could find was in a jewelry workshop. He started his career as a jewelry designer by accident and in a few years showed himself to be a very talented and hardworking designer. The Nanubhai Company that hired the young designer was dealing at the time with Harry Winston and Van Cleef & Arpels. That’s how Shinde met Harry Winston who invited him to work for his company fist in Geneva and then in New York. He created for HW some of the most beautiful jewelry the world has ever seen. He mastered his techniques creating pieces in which the precious stones look like they are floating in the air and the metal parts are invisible. The most amazing trait of his personality was his modesty. At Harry Winston, Mr. Shinde was referred to as the ''jewel behind the jewel''. No matter how famous he became, creating pieces worth millions of dollars, Shinde stayed a very humble person, who worked 7 days per week, living a very small apartment and taking the bus every day to go to work. New York Times consecrated him many articles praising his professionalism and personality, calling Ambaji Shinde “The man who romanced the stones” Here for you some of his creations

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pictures! The last creation is to die for!!

    Very interesting to hear about this master, and the level of discipline (and of course, talent) required behind these masterpieces. What I find also interesting is that he encountered this profession by chance... I have heard this happening so often. It is a bit funny how, even our professional lives, are hung in a thread of serendipity..

    Keep on this great work, masters are not born, they are made! ;)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post and exquisite creations!!

    He indeed was an extremely gifted jeweler and an artist.

    Ambaji Shinde is my husband's grandfather :)


    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Mr. Shinde was a great ARTIST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what was the inspiration of sindey works

    ReplyDelete